Below you will find audio links for a series of four talks by Graham Hooper. In each talk, Graham reflects on how our faith is tested at work: through failure, success, accountability and relationships.
Graham Hooper is a senior Executive with a global infrastructure company. He became a Christian in his early twenties while living in Tanzania and has spent his life working in the secular world. His career has taken him to some twenty countries. Graham is based in Australia and is currently working in the Middle East. He is married with three children and has 8 grandchildren.
His book ‘The Gap’ (working title), which addresses the challenge of living authentically as a Christian, is to be published by IVP in 2012.
Introduction to the series
When I first became a Christian in my 20’s, I was told that to grow in the faith I needed to pray, to read God’s word and to join a church. It all sounded pretty simple. What I was not told, but what I have since learned, is that we also grow through facing difficult issues, and taking on difficult challenges, and through learning to rely on God rather just on our own resources. I’ve learned that our faith is strengthened as it is continually tested, particularly in the workplace.
- it’s tested when we have to deal with failure
- it’s tested in a different way when we enjoy success
- it’s tested in living out day to day our accountability to God and His call on our lives
- and perhaps most often, it’s tested in the way we deal with authority, with conflict and in relationships generally
1. Learning from Failure – Listen here (Wednesday 13 June: 36 min)
“Failure is not an option”. This sort of slogan is of course meant to motivate us to press on to achieve our fitness goals. But in the pursuit of fitness, as in life, failure is very much an option. More accurately, failure is an experience we will all go through at some point in life, in some way, in some measure. The question is what do we learn from failure; and how do we come through that experience?
2. Handling Success – Listen here (Wednesday 20 June: 30 min)
Here we look at the other side of the coin – success. A much more fun topic! Success is an experience to be enjoyed, so how can it be a test of faith? In this talk we answer that question as we consider:
- what we mean by success
- how we handle success
- what the Bible has to say about success
3. Accountable Living – Listen here (Wednesday 27 June: 27 min)
It’s ironic that the ones with the most power in this world often live as though they were the least accountable. Jesus said that it’s actually the other way round. Much is required of those to whom much is given, so here we ask:
- In what ways are we accountable to God?
- How should our accountability to God and to one another affect the way we live and work?
4. Building Quality Relationships – Listen here (Wednesday 4 July: 31 min)
Perhaps the biggest test of all is how we deal with people: our bosses, our colleagues our employees. So, this final session focuses on the whole area of relationships in the workplace and addresses three questions:
- How do we exercise authority?
- How do we respond to authority?
- How do we deal with relationships at work generally?